Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dj Excel :: Reckless From Philly 2 Texas



I first heard wind of Dj Excel several years back on my first trip to Philly. I was checking out local boutique store UBIQ when I came across some mix cds. The one that stood out (trackilist & cover) was Excel an Sat One's "95 Klassics" mix, one of the best early nineties mixes I had heard to date. Excel combined skills on the cuts and blends and the tracks he chose were top notch. Dallas get ready because Excel is rocking out with us at Hands Up this Saturday and it's going to be madness! I heard that he just MURDERED it at the RUB party this last week in Brooklyn. Come by and pre game it with us at the Centre BBQ and then head over to The Loft for the realness!

Tell us who you are, who you rep, what you do.
Who am I? I'm one of the few real turntablist DJ's still in the mix & on the grind. I'm Excel, representing Philly, representing good music, representing the Skratch Makaniks Crew.

Philly born and raised? When did you first get in to djing?
I am born and raised in Philly. I started djing at age 11. I was always into music. I started messing with records just off of g.p. I scrounged up turntables, a mixer and random records and taught myself from what I heard. Being from Philly that flavor and funkiness on the turntables came from legends like Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money, Tat Money, etc.

I know you have done a little battling and rep. Scratch Makaniks. How did you guys all meet up?
Most def when I was younger, battling, playing parties and making mixtapes was the blueprint. They are guys I grew up with... my influences, my peers, my friends. These guys are the Skratch Makaniks.

You mentioned doing the radio thing for a while. Did you have a mix show andhow long did you do that?
Yeah, I did radio for about 5 years or so. I did some guest spots on Power 99 and a few college stations in the area. Then I worked at 103.9 WPHI, which then became 100.3 the beat. I did a few mix shows on there. It was a urban station. I then went to work for Wired 96.5 WRDW. Jay Ski and myself did all the mixing. When he moved on, I took over all the mix shows and was on 3 times a day as well as 4 hours straight on the friday nights. I was playing everything from old school hip hop, to current top 40, to mash ups, to even reggaeton. I worked at the beat for 3 years or so and did the wired thing for almost 2 years. Radio was a great experience and I got to meet really good people. I've also done shows for Sirius and XM Radio. I may revisit it in the future but I had to leave because of all the traveling & other work that I do.

Give us 5 records you are feeling right now. Also, I know you have mega deep crates. Give us 5 Excel classics...shit you will forever bump.

Aight! Let's see....

Current:
1. Eric Prydz - Pjanoo (Excelarator's Pjanoo Remix)
2. Sam Sparro - Sidewinder (Count & Sinden Remix)
3. Capleton - Everybody Hands Up (Sega Remix)
4. Mic Terror - Juke Them Hoes
5. Revolution f. Crooked I, Bishop Lamont, Styliztik Jones - Funky Piano

Classic:
1. The Gap Band - Early In The Morning
2. James Brown & The J.B.'s - More Peas
3. Beatnuts - Are U Ready
4. Gza - Breaker, Breaker (Remix)
5. Chicago - Streetplayers


What up with that Philly sound? You got those hand skills?
Haha! Good Lookin homie! Maaaannn, that's the Philly OG Blueprint with djing. Ask any REAL DJ from Philly. They'll tell you... That's the "Philly Sound". It's what makes us unique on the wheels. I think a lot of people lost touch with that in the past serato/computer DJ world. It became too easy for any person to call themselves a DJ. Some of the masses don't know the difference anymore between talent and trash. So of course, when I play I do my best to make everyone have a good time and to school them on what the music should sound like when it's sliced and diced properly.

Any shouts, rants, raves, fashion tips?
Super shout out to Dallas and all of the south! I'm excited to be in the hood rockin with ya'll! I haven't been down there in a min. we're gonna make it disco crunk!!! Of course shout out to ya'll for taking the time to put this together. I really appreciate it, for real! Last but not least, Big up to the whole SMC, Philly and all the supporters world wide! I got mad love for all of ya'll!

Oh... Respect to LA & my west coast homies! Gomez Warren, The Perfect Strangers! That's gonna be my new home in January.

Fashion Tips. Hmm... Less color in the gear. Wild Out on the hats & kicks! That's my twist I've been on.

DJ EXCEL :: RUNNIN' RECKLESS FROM PHILLY TO TEXAS

Tracklist..

01. Proxy vs. M.I.A. - Raven In My XR2 (Excelarator's Turbo Stomp Remix)
02. Fake Blood - Mars (Excelarator's Pump Up The Volume Edit)
03. MGMT - Kids (Soulwax Nite Bootleg Remix)
04. Herve - Cheap Thrills (Armand Van Helden Remix)
05. The Rapture - House Of Jealous Lovers (Disco Villains Remix)
06. T.I. - What You Know About That (Meterhead Remix)
07. Will Roc f. Dallas Austin - The Definition Of Bounce (Exasperated In Bmore Remix)
08. Crystal Castles vs. Health - Crimewave (Lazertag Remix)
09. Eric Prydz vs. Excel - Excelarator's Pjanoo
10. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (Scottie B Remix)
11. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (OG)
12. T.I. f. Jay Z & Kanye West - Swagger Like Us
13. Santogold f. Amanda Blank - I'm A Lady (Diplo Remix/Excel's Edit)

-SBR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home