Monday, June 18, 2007

En La Calle 18: Summer Heat Vol. 1



Summer time is definitely here and we thought it would be proper to do a little Summer Jam edition of En la Calle. Below are a few choice tracks to help get you through those long summer days. It was hard picking just three tracks each, so you best believe that this is only the first in a series of summer posts. Grab a lemonade (and vodka), click the links, adjust the bass and let your Alpine blast and hustle to the mall to get you a short set.

PRINCE KLASSEN

K-os - Sunday Morning
This is off of his latest release, Atlantis Hymns for Disco. I am not going to lie and say that I have been on his train since the first record, but I will say that once I heard his remix for the Feist remix record, Open Season, I was hooked. Dude not only rocks with Broken Social Scene, but manages to be active on remixes and making his own heart filled version of hip hop. I know that fellow Canadian Smalltown Pete has this in the playlist and I know exactly how he feels. On some "should I hold her hand?" type 'ish.

The Lions feat. Noelle (of The Rebirth) - Think (about it)
I don't know how many people out there got the last Rebirth record, but all I can say is that if the band were to do covers for the rest of their recording careers they should just roll with it. I mean their remake of Evil Vibrations still makes the party jump off, and now we get a ska remake of the huge huge huge b-boy anthem Think originally performed by Lyn Collins! Not so much a b-boy anthem in this version, but something that will make you want to get down with your girl and smile from ear to ear.

Justice feat. Uffie - The Party
These guys are all over the place this year and I am really excited to see people taking interest in French House music again. I am in love with the single D.A.N.C.E, as I am sure most of you are, with its boogie feel and sing along lyrics. I was surprised to hear this on the album. I really do enjoy this tune, but honestly, I am posting it for simple fact the name of the track is...

NATURE

Stevie Wonder - Chemical Love
The man's synth game is untouchable. It's like Teddy Riley to the 25th
power. This is an album cut off the Jungle Fever soundtrack that's
windows down real shit. Craziest part is that this tune isn't even
the nasty burner on the record, the STUPID joint is "Queen in the
Black", but being that my copy cd hasn't exactly stood the test of
time, we're gonna ride out with this one.

Orchestra Tommy Olivencia - Trucutu
When I was DJing strictly salsa a couple years back there were three
tunes that would shut 'em down every time. Na, that's lie, salsa's
kinda deep. But let's not try and downplay the power of this joint.
The lyrics and the nonsensical vocal hook are murderous, and the band is blazing hot. Basically, once the cowbell starts banging, look-the-fuck-out. If this doesn't put the block on blast, the block
is fucking dead.

Steel Pulse - Your House
Got back on track with this one recently. It's a type of pure bliss.
Just get it and put it on the ave. I think it might even be good luck
listen this.

SOBER

Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness
The title already says it all. This is the track that Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince sampled for their own Summer anthem. Kool & The Gang came correct on this cut, It's the perfect soundtrack for any day that the brutal Texas summer has to throw at you.

Main Source - Just Hangin' Out
Although Main Source has a track called "Live At The BBQ" this is the true BBQ jam from the live guy with glasses "Extra P". One of the best usages of the Sister Nancy sample "Bam Bam" to date. The song just boasts the summer vibe, what else do you want to do when schools out, the suns blazing and you don't have a job? I'm just hangin' out!

Next - Too Close
This track is on some summer high school dance steez. I think I actually remember having the cassette single when this jam dropped. If you have been to the last couple of Parties, then you heard this in my set for sure. If you haven't ever payed close attention to the lyrics, give it another listen and it shouldn't take long for you to figure out what dude is talking about. Grab your lady and get to grindin'.

-CB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home