Thursday, April 05, 2007

Can I get a...



I recently met Witnes at SXSW a few weeks back. Before that we had only corresponded through email and on the Space. Our dude Prince Klassen has been holding down the Purple Drank monthly with Wit and Dayta (both from Houston) for quite a while now. I have heard nothing but good things about the Purple Drank night and how these dudes murder it time after time. I have been checking Wit's blog for a hot minute and I know that dude is up on his music and his hustle...always on the grind. Basically Wit is extended family and it only makes sense that we get this D-town/ Houston connect poppin'. The Party monthly is right around the corner and Witnes is rolling through town to nice it up for you guys...bound to be off the hinges!

TELL THE PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO
My name is Witnes, I am a Houston based DJ/Promoter.
I rep that 713, Dirty Dirty and SLFEMP (self employed).
My favorite sandwich is the Chk'n Vietnamese sandwich.

HOW DID ROCK BOX GET STARTED?
I was discovered by the owner of The Proletariat early 2005, she liked my style and offered me Thursdays. Ever since then Rock Box on Thursdays is the place to be.

WHAT PROJECTS ARE YOU CURRENTLY WORKING ON? DO YOU HAVE ANY FUTURE PROJECTS/ COLLABOS IN THE WORKS?
Just finished up 2 mixtapes with Squincy Jones.
One for SLFEMP (selfemployed goods). SLFEMP MIX
and one for a URB mag mixtape contest
More touring, more mixtapes, more parties!

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 TRACKS OF THE MOMENT?
1. Wu-Tang aint nuthin to fuck with - Bird Peterson rmx
2. "Get It Now" - Amanda Blank & XXXChange
3. "Brains" - Tittsworth
4. "Can't Explain" - The Who (DJ Eli rmx)
5. "Drapped Up" - Bun B (Morse Code rmx)

HOW IS THE MUSIC SCENE IN H-TOWN? HOUSTON IS KNOWN FOR IT'S CONTRIBUTION TO THE RAP GAME BUT ARE KIDS RECEPTIVE TO A VARIETY OF GENRES?
We got shit poppin' down here. You already know what time it is. People are always gonna' complain about shit, but I think some folks here take it for granted. Houston is my turf! The Rap shit is poppin without a doubt, Devin, Bun B, Slim and a gang of others have all added shine to the city. The dance/party scene is poppin'. Most of the kids that come out to Rock Box are open to the variety genre's, from krunk to electro. That is what separates our night from any other down here. The DJ's can mix which should be rule number 1 and 2nd we are taste makers, always bring'n the fresh shit to the table. There are no boundaries to the music as long at it keeps the party moving, so most of the time its 120 bpm up mixed with the double time jawns.

ANY SHOUT OUTS?
Dallas...let's git it!


Check for Witness here ::
Quickwits Blog
Wit's Myspace
Rockbox

FIRE ::
SLFEMP MIX
Summer Mix 06'

-SOBER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home